Are you tired of unsolicited, spammy emails in your inbox? Well, all that will (to an extent) end in February 2024 as Google implements new guidelines for bulk email senders to make your inbox safer and spam-free.
Google will require bulk email senders (people who send over 5,000 emails per day to Gmail inboxes) to follow certain best practices requiring strong authentication, easy unsubscription, and lower spam rates.
“It’s clear that email has become an essential part of daily communication. And whether you’re submitting a job application or staying in touch with a loved one, your emails should be safe and secure.” – Neil Kumaran Group Product Manager, Gmail Security & Trust
Let’s dive into understanding these best practices and what these new policies mean for your cold outreach strategy in 2024.
Here is a quick gist of Google’s email sender guidelines and the best practices they recommend for bulk email senders:
Ensure email authentication for each of your sending domains at your domain provider by settling up the following:
Google recommends always using the same domain for email authentication and hosting your public website. Senders must have valid forward and reverse DNS records for these sending domains and IP addresses.
If you send over 5,000 marketing and sales emails daily, your marketing and subscribed messages must support one-click unsubscribe.
Google suggests that you only send emails to people who want to get your messages, so they’re less likely to report messages from your domain as spam.
You can track your spam rate using Postmaster tools. Ensure it stays below 0.10%, and avoid reaching a spam rate of 0.30% or higher.
Here are a few tips to avoid having your emails land in your receiver’s spam:
Bulk senders who fail to comply with the guidelines may face various consequences, including reduced deliverability rates, warnings, suspension of email-sending privileges, or even legal action.
Even if your sales/marketing team has these parameters in place, Google's refreshed bulk email sender guidelines signal that mass mailing prospects may slowly be on the decline. While this may sound like not-so-good news for your outbound marketing efforts, here's why this may actually be a blessing in disguise.
Email marketing, if implemented correctly, can continue to be one of the best B2B sales channels in your GTM strategy. The key, however, will be to adopt a systematic, intent-based approach as opposed to spray-and-pray tactics.
Let’s say you’re selling software that streamlines candidate assessment, and your buyer personas are hiring managers and CHROs.
If your sales team sends out emails to thousands of CHROs at random — without any insight into whether or not they’re in-market for your product, you’re bound to receive replies, if any, such as: “Sorry, we’re not currently looking to buy” or worse still, “unsubscribe 😠.”
Not only does this high-volume approach result in little result from lots of effort, but cold outreach may also leave a bad taste in the mouth of prospects who may be looking to buy down the road.
What’s the alternative to this? Intent-based, account-level outreach, of course! 😎
On average, only 4% of website visitors convert via sign-ups, but what if you could identify, qualify, and target the remaining 96% of anonymous website traffic with outreach based on intent? What if you could carefully research engagement amongst high-intent buyers and send them personalized cold emails highlighting exactly how your tool can meet their requirements?
Our experience working with hundreds of B2B teams finds that this results in far more conversions with far fewer emails.
Factors is an IP-based account intelligence and activation platform that:
Here’s a little about how it works:
First, our account intelligence feature allows you to uncover anonymous traffic with IP-based intelligence & enrichment.
Finally, create a list of accounts ready to buy and send emails with a compelling pitch to win sales-ready accounts over in no time. Want to learn the basics of account scoring?
▶️Check out our guide: An Introduction To B2B Account Scoring
Google has taken a much-needed step to establish these bulk email sender guidelines. Whether you’re executing cold outreach or email marketing campaigns, you must monitor your bulk emails and ensure basic email hygiene to create a secure email ecosystem.
If you want to ditch the cookie-cutter bulk email strategy and want to restructure your cold outreach efforts by focusing on high-intent buyers, book a demo with us today!
Get the latest best practices in Marketing Analytics
delivered to your inbox. You don't want to miss this!!